Saturday, February 27, 2010

Why I try so hard and am still so shit.

1. Winter climbing is a funny thing and something I’ve really dismissed in the past. I got Dave Macleod’s new book (which I’d really recommend) for Christmas and since reading it I think it’s put some things into perspective. It got me actively thinking why I like the climbs I do and why there are some classics I don’t. Winter climbs represented everything classic about Scottish climbing and yet were so unpleasant. Basically winter climbing is so popular that I just had to be missing the point somewhere to think it was so rubbish. So when an opportunity presented itself to go mincing for a few days in Wales at the start of the year I decided to go for it.
Staying with a friend at Plas y Brenin certainly made the experience a lot easier to enjoy. I could get up at 8 and it was only a 15 minute drive to Cwm Idwal. To be honest though, the early starts were never really why I hated it. I hated winter climbing because it was so precarious and intimidating. Your sense of what you were holding on to dampened by your axe, the movements grovely and mechanical, and the line of where you were going hidden by snow causing me to irrationally forget that if things weren’t so slippy you could probably send a goat up it.
This is all still true but I think that they highlight the aspects of rock climbing I’m really shit at. And so on realising that winter climbing can be quite fun I’ve decided it would be a good way to work on my weaknesses (paradoxically by embracing weakness itself on III’s and IV’s). I’m now actually really psyched for the white stuff and I think it’s given me a fresh outlook on my climbing. I really do think that all aspects of climbing are amazing and if you don’t enjoy them all you’ve probably not gone at them with the right attitude or are suffering from the pandemic condition ‘fear of failure’. A couple of weeks ago fate dealt me and Charlie the triple lemon (dodgy avalanche risk/ forgotten gear/ an essay to write) and so we ended up going to Birnam for some dry tooling. I never expected to say this but it was actually really fun and ‘the Fast and the Furious’ is now something I’d love to do. That day also made me realise I could be doing much harder winter routes. It’s only really my first winter season but I’d like to get on some V’s now and maybe even something a little harder if the avalanche warning doesn’t stay at danger level 5 forever.
2. I, like most, focus too much on strength in my climbing and not enough on actual movement technique. I really think Dave Mac’s book provides an essential explanation of why Dan can slap his way up surprisingly hard boulder problems despite being the weakest grown man Britain. I’ve been going out winter climbing so much that I’ve not actually touched rock yet this decade which is bad on this front but I have amended my board sessions. I’ve began splitting them in two- first half I just make up boulder problems, making them progressively harder and trying to use the holds and movements I find disproportionately hard. Instead of thinking of this as training with all the connotations this brings with it, I think of it as learning to climb and accordingly (wait for it...) I listen to Baroque music! It’s been widely reported that listening to the pre-classical music of Bach and Vivaldi can improve your focus and ability to learn for exams- why not for climbing too? The second half of the session I hit the fingerboard. There’s no need to think so I ditch the Baroque and hit the techno to get psyched and mainly just because I like it. Perhaps I’ve gone crazy but I think my movements have become more refined and my footwork more precise since doing this. Of course it’s a bit of a chicken and egg situation- am I thinking more about the way I move because of the music or am I playing the music because I’m thinking more about how to improve my movement. I guess we’ll never know.
3. Body mass. I feel quite lean these days but I’m still quite heavy. I think we all know I could improve massively by hitting the broccoli. Look what happened to Ross Hunt when he stopped eating. Normally I just go running for this but I think this is the wrong way to go- it leaves me too tired for climbing. I think I just need to eat less.
4. Over the past few years injury has certainly been the most limiting factor for me. I think being in a long distance relationship has really helped this. I train really hard for a couple of weeks then have a few days off. I had a niggle before I went to see Claire last week but then I had a forced week off. On Thursday I started climbing again, felt a bit weak and tweaky, climbed again yesterday and things felt a bit better. Today I felt really strong at the wall and I didn’t even notice my niggle. For me I think a few days off before tweaks get really bad is the way to go for injury prevention, but maximum volume of climbing that doesn’t make an injury worse is the way to go for rehab. In my opinion time off really is time wasted with injuries. I’ve not had to stop for injury in 8months now which is really good for me in recent years.

In summary I need to: -Learn to like being scared/ going for it
- Listen to Baroque music and learn to climb
- Eat less
- Keep seeing Claire and not get injured.

16 comments:

時尚 said...

成功是優點的發揮,失敗是缺點的累積 ....................................................

星美 said...

TAHNKS FOR YOUR SHARING~~~VERY NICE ........................................

于名于名 said...

thx u very much, i learn a lot

v辰原 said...

Nice blog85cc,咆哮小老鼠,85街,免費影片,情趣爽翻天,愛戀情人用品,交友找啦咧,線上a片,女同志聊天室,sexy,色情網站,網愛聊天室,情色性愛貼圖,小穴,性愛姿勢,陰脣室,成人圖貼,性愛技巧,a片論壇,色情,85c,sexy網,人妻,脫衣,6k,18禁,手淫,性幻想,77p2p,情色,1007,85c,0401,後宮,色情,淫蕩,正妹,77p2p,ut室

Rosalind治男Garney火吟 said...

你的部落格很棒,我期待更新喔 ........................................

Phuong said...

淫亂火辣美女本土av情色視訊聊天免費色情網站性經驗色情成人影片色情視訊聊天av圖av情色情趣娃娃成人電影院淫蕩18禁色情電話情色成人網辣妹自拍台灣av女優台灣情色春宮台灣色情成人網站0401影音g點成人vcd情色影片520sex性愛圖視訊妹調情視訊美女聊天美女性交台灣性樂園成人影像走光打砲裸女寫真美女裸照露奶激突論壇情色圖片做愛線上a片做愛視訊情色成人成人交友穿幫色情a片情色全裸入鏡台灣情色網

domenicl_drapeau060799 said...

生命是一頓豐富的宴席,有人卻寧可挨餓 ..................................................

誠侑 said...

看到你的好文章真是開心 加油囉.......................................

Elvi107sS_Scholten0 said...

志不立,天下無可成之事。.............................................

韋于倫成 said...

喜歡你的部落格,讓人流連忘返 ........................................

熙辰 said...

加油!充實內函最重要!Beauty is but skin- deep...................................................

MelinaM said...

生命是一頓豐富的宴席,有人卻寧可挨餓........................................

Naoma明宏 said...

Make hay while the sun shines.............................................................

fenfen said...

亞洲東洋影片go2av 18美女成人網 UT視訊美女交友 A片 - A片-情色網 免費視訊聊天fairy 情人080百分百成人圖片 影音聊天fm358 美女交友artdab 熟女人影片 制服淫窟 嘟嘟情人色網 utshow 視訊聊天 獸皇影片分享區 104av成人音影城 後宮視訊交友 sex520貼片,日本av女優,色美眉,sex,成人 免費線上影片觀看 洪爺護士免費 aa 片 173liveshow 視訊美女 0401成人聊天室 utobe影片 hichannel免費影視 情色視訊影音聊天 人之初貼圖區 plus論壇玩美女人影音秀 85cc情人影城 UT影音視訊聊天室 援交友留言 avonline免費a片 85cc免費av影片 情色免費成人avdvd電影 A片-殺很大 檳榔西施摸奶圖片 成人情色,性愛自拍 亞洲藝人情人視訊網 fdz論壇 情人視訊網 d736 uthome 視訊聊天室 sex888入口情色小遊戲 後宮 視訊聊天 免費視訊辣妹情人視訊網 kk俱樂部wmti 無碼dvd一本道a片 視訊美女 視訊ggo 素人自拍et免費影片下載 hilive-免費視訊 a383girl影音 45avdvd免費影片 免費視訊聊天fm358

許美玉 said...

愛情不是慈善事業,不能隨便施捨。..................................................................

家信 said...

行動養成習慣,習慣培養人格,人格影響命運..............................................................