Sunday, September 13, 2009

Nightmares and six packs

The other day I watched ‘The Butterfly Effect’ and it gave me nightmares. The whole film is based around the idea of chaos theory; the idea that subtle changes to the initial conditions of a system could create an exponential increase in error to the point that the system becomes so complex that it appears to behave entirely randomly despite being entirely deterministic. In my dream I went back through time and forced myself to diet for the last 22years and when I got back to the present day my metabolism was so slow that I was so overweight I could only climb VS! I woke up screaming.
Strangely it seemed to spur me on to watch what I eat more. Some might even call it a diet. There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice out there on what to do at the best of times. This is made worse by the lack of climbing specific research. I guess boulderers need loads of protein and not many carbs and at the other end of the spectrum winter climbers need lots of fat and sugar.
I remember Paul Diffley telling me about the treble S diet of Soup, (S)Cereal and Smirnoff. I am drawn to this by its simplicity. No scope for confusion; just avoid anything that isn’t in the list. I am however only about 40% as sociable as I am desperate to burn everyone off and with this in mind I’ve decided to ditch the Smirnoff and replace it with supplements, mainly protein shake and an assortment of vitamin pills.
I’ve only been keeping it up since last Wednesday when I got properly psyched again after a Ryanair induced motivation lull...okay maybe it was a little bit my fault. Anyway I feel lighter already. Maybe I’ll post a little something for the ladies when I’m ripped and learn how to photo-shop out my farmers tan!

3 comments:

Niall said...

Sod the 3Cs diet. The E-Plan diet is far more fun...

Hot Aches said...

When I tell people about my time on the 3S diet they often ask "Does it work? ... Did you lose much?" To which the answer is "Yes, I lost about a week!" - Diff

Niall said...

....hmmmp! :P

Equally, on the E-Plan, you lose a few weekends...